Monday, May 2, 2011

One Year Ago....

As I dropped the boys off at school this morning, I pondered on the fact that the road I was driving on was under 8 feet of rushing water a year ago.  The irony that it has been raining for the last couple of days was also not lost on me.

What is different a year later?  A lot:

  • Where there were houses, there are now empty lots and new homes.
  • Many flooded homes are still unrepaired.
  • Many homes are just now being finished or are still in the process of reconstruction.
  • We all probably pay a little bit more attention when Nancy VanDiaster says "Flood Warning"..
  • People are now friends who never knew each other pre-flood.
  • We empathize a little more with those anyone we see on the news after a natural disaster - like the folks in Alabama.
These are the quick ones that come to mind.  I know there are many more, should I take the time, but we can't dwell on the past.  We need to learn from the past, build on it (literally) and move on.  We all have changed and are still changing.

Take a moment and remember.  To help you remember, my blog from that time is included below:

http://squireponderings.blogspot.com/2010/05/wow-this-might-get-bad.html

Peace.

Zach, A Tennessee Squire

No comments:

Post a Comment