Friday, September 25, 2009

From out of nowhere.....

Being an only child of two only children, I never got to experience the typical interactions of brothers and sisters. Even my best friend growing up had two sisters, but he was an "oops" about 8 years behind his youngest sister. Think about it - I have no aunts, uncles, or cousins. Family reunions could be held in a Smart car.

I digress. I mentioned the absence of sibling interaction to say that when Lori & I had two kids, the interaction between them was foreign to me. I have no doubt that deep down my two boys, aged 13 & 11, really love each other. When smaller, they always played great together and would occasionally pick on each other. However, as the years have passed, the "picking" has become more frequent, more aggressive, and much more annoying to Lori & I. Often, she will say "you know, they are just being brothers." Well, no I don't know. I really wondered sometimes whether or not they really did like each other.

Then, it happened. As all kids do, they surprise you when you least expect it. I was performing the never-ending task of "sign-this", "fill this out" for Will one morning. He had to fill out a questionnaire for one of the teachers which asked various questions about the students' likes, dislikes, and favorites. The last question, or should I say the last answer, restored my belief that they really do like each other - they just don't always show it.

Question: What would you do if you won the Powerball lottery?

Answer: Donate it to JDRF so they could find a cure and Kyle would not have diabetes anymore.

'Nuff said.


Zach, A Tennessee Squire

2 comments:

  1. As a mother of two boys, this just made my day. You should be very proud.

    Tina P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great response by Will. Joyful moment for dad. Dumb as hell question by teacher - asking a kid about winning the Powerball. Maybe there is something to be said for that whole home school thing after all.

    ReplyDelete